10 Ways to Save the Planet (and Money)
At Poo~Pourri we believe in bettering this beautiful world we poop in, which is why we’ve made a product that not only makes your #2 smell great, but can also help reduce the amount of water you’re using each day.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), each American uses an average of 88 gallons of water a day at home. Yep, you heard that correctly… 88 GALLONS per DAY.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. We get it. That’s a lot of water. But why should we care?
According to the 2014 Government Accountability Report, 40 out of 50 state water managers expect water shortages under average conditions in some portion of the states over the next day. Enjoy your excessive water usage while you can because soon you may not have that luxury.
Aside from the fact that we’re literally running out of water, using all of this water costs a LOT of money. The average family spends more than $1,000 per year in water costs. By changing habits and switching to different appliances and fixtures, you could save more than $380 annually. Flush yeah!
We sat down with Katie Anderson from Save Water Co to discuss simple ways to cut back water use AND save you money.
Of all the things Katie listed, her #1 tip would be to not flush when you pee, even if just once a day. From data that Save Water Co has collected, they found that every time you flush the toilet you’re using an average of 2.4 gallons of water. To show you the impact of what not flushing once a day could do for conserving water, let’s do some simple math.
Dallas, Texas, has 1.318 million people.
If each of those people removed one flush from their day, they could conserve:
3,163,200 gallons in ONE day
94,896,000 gallons in ONE month
1,154,568,000 gallons in ONE year
You read that right. If the city of Dallas didn’t flush after peeing, just ONCE per day, they could save over a BILLION gallons of water in a year. Billion—with a B. Holy you know what! Imagine if everyone in the United States let the yellow mellow.
Here are 10 easy peasy ways you can conserve water and help save the whole planet (and money)!
1. Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth.
2. Wait to wash clothes until you have a full load.
3. Fix leaky toilets and faucets. Not only does it conserve water, it helps your Feng Shui!
4. Cut back on your time in the shower.
5. Avoid plastic water bottles and get a reusable one! Shop here.
6. Opt to take a shower instead of a bath.
7. Install a low-flow showerhead. Click here to shop showerheads.
8. Only run the dishwasher with a full load.
9. Invest in an aerater for your faucet. Katie recommends this one
10. And our personal favorite: Spritz, pee and let it be to save gallons of water by flushing less!
Click here to start shopping for Poo~Pourri and cut back on how much water you’re using.